Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Yes, I realize that I sound about 107 years old.


Last night we watched Merry Christmas Charlie Brown. I always get some serious warm fuzzies when Linus recites the Christmas story on stage. I adore when the whole gang decorates Charlie Brown's sad little tree, and then they "oooooh, ooooooh, ooooh" to Hark the Herald Angels sing, and inhale all together between oooohs.


My daughter loves Christmas shows, too, but she doesn't know what it was like when her dad and I were kids. There was no Tivo. There was no such thing as a VCR even. Or Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, ABC Family, blah, blah, blah...
When the Christmas specials came on TV, it was a BIG DEAL. You talked about it at school that day. You were sitting smack dab in front of the set when it came on. (Remember the spinning "Special Program" graphic that came on just before??? Crazy-good!) During Charlie Brown, almost all of the commercials were for Dolly Madison snack cakes. "Good Golly, it's a Dolly!"

Tonight is Rudolph. My daughter doesn't get why the doll is on the Island of Misfit Toys, and I've got to admit, neither do I.

Seems perfectly fine to me.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

me too
and I'm listening to the regular (not holiday) Charlie Brown soundtrack right now.